Thursday, March 11

Clean House, Clean(er) Spirit

It's incredible how quickly clutter collects in a home.

Sometimes I open a closet and am astounded at how much unnecessary stuff has accumulated, that we don't need and wouldn't miss, but just can't bring ourselves to get rid of.


I have to confess, I am a pack rat. I have boxes full of little notes from people, awards I won in high school, pins I used to collect, etc ad nauseum. And I never look at any of it. But it's there if I ever felt the urge to relive the good old days. Which I might. You never know...

But the point is that I don't. And I should be able to part with these things, but I have difficulty letting go. I've realized that as detached as I consider myself to be, there are still so many things in my life that I couldn't bear to part with. Have you played that Game, the one where your house is on fire and you can only grab ONE THING? I'm terrible at this game. Well, I should say I used to be terrible at it. Now I grab my son. Period. But I'm the one that, after Matthew is safely outside in the arms of the firefighter, I go BACK IN to the burning ruins to scour for those things that somehow make my life livable...

Or do they? If I had, had, HAD to, I could let go. But since I don't have to, I'd rather just hold on to my memories, thank you.

And then, out of the blue, I read this: "Remember not the events of the past, the things of long ago consider not; See, I am doing something new!" (Isaiah 43:18-19). But Lord, I was comfortable with the way things were. I liked the familiar.

And then He rocks my world, flips it on its head, changes something radically. And I learn to let go of the unimportant, the trivial. It's time to step into a new day of freedom.

So as Jonathan and I worked to de-clutter our home (and hopefully benefit people in need as a result), it has a similar effect of de-cluttering my spirit. As I let go of physical things I don't really need or want, I ponder in my heart the spiritual weights that keep me in bondage. I let go of those too.

And by doing both, I breath a little easier, feel a little lighter, and look forward to something new.

3 comments:

  1. Don't ya just love de-cluttering? It gives me such a sense of satisfaction and I feel so clean and empty afterward...but in a good way. Refreshed. I think I'm almost getting to the point where I could de-clutter my apartment...almost. Or maybe I just need a bigger place. ;) It took us so long to fill it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your honesty about decluttering. There are some things that are harder to let go, but for me, the process grows me more than I can plan on. I've never really regretted anything I've let go of materially, Like you said, it declutters my spirit as well and simplifies my life immensely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Gaby! This was way, way awesome. Totally needed to hear this. Never stop being yourself! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share your heart with me:

Related Posts with Thumbnails